Welcome to the Forum! This is a handy place to ask questions and receive answers from your fellow Cranksgiving Organizers. Your login to this area is automatically generated when you create your first Cranksgiving event.
Click Here to return to the Cranksgiving Home Page
Notifications
Clear all

Heaviest load - 2015 results

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@admin)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
  • philly_crankster_CJ 
    October 2015
    Philly numbers since its inception:

2011: 13 riders, 200 lbs
    2012: 65 riders, 798 lbs
    2013: 48 riders, 646 lbs
    2014: 100 riders, 1,346 lbs from riders + Whole Foods Market matching rider purchases with 702 lbs = 2,048 lbs
    2015: ?????

PamelaMurray 
    November 2015 edited November 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    2012 - I wasn't the organizer and not sure of total weight
    2013 - 830 lbs, 40 riders
    2014 - 300 lbs, 8 riders

We weigh each person/team's contribution on a bike scale then add the totals together.

Patrick 
    November 2015
    So how are you weighing hundreds or even thousands of pounds? Seems like a simple count of number of items would be a lot easier, especially for the small groups.

Ken 
    November 2015
    I've never had a legit measurement of weight of food in NYC. Sometimes the food pantry people have a scale or a way to estimate that, I assume.

•  
    philly_crankster_CJ 
    November 2015
    the first two years we had were weighed on bathroom scales after the event. 2013 on, philabundance (our regional food bank) lent us a commercial-grade scale to use at the finish. as participants come in, they weigh their loads individually (which gives us something to go by for 'most charitable'), and then we tally up at the end to announce to everyone.

•  
    tom_mctighe 
    November 2015
    We are calculating for Biggest Spender off receipts. It's a little painful but not too bad, just requires 5 or 6 people who can add stuff up on their phones.

•  
    Ken 
    November 2015
    I used to check all receipts, just to make sure people *went* to all the grocery stores & weren't cheating. Once I hit 150+ riders, I stopped doing that.

•  
    PamelaMurray 
    November 2015
    We used a bike scale with a hook on it to weigh donations. I'm interested in a total tally of all the Cranksgivings more than a competition to show the community that biking creates. Our food bank also encouraged donations since $1 helps them collect 7 lbs of food. They use funds for transportation to pick up donations from area produce and grocery stores, to collect food donaton barrels, etc. We collected a few donations. 2015 total in Charlotte, NC 11/8/15 was 595 lbs of food and $58 to equal 1000 lbs of food. Next year my goal is to collect 1 ton of food.

•  
    FranT 
    November 2015
    This was our 4th year for Bucks County, PA. The Doylestown Food Pantry operated by the Bucks County Housing Group weighed us in at 6,123 lbs. This was up from last year when we went just over 5,000 lbs. We had 105 riders up from 72 last year.

•  
    IntercourseBikeWorks 
    November 2015
    Go ahead and chuckle at our name! We're actually located in the center of Amish Country, Lancaster County, PA. We don't have much population and we aren't a rich bunch, but we were able to raise 12,500 pounds of food with 100 riders. 30MPH wind gusts made the ride a bit of a challenge (and stopped at least 20 registrants from showing up), but everybody finished, and everybody gave. AMAZING day!

•  
    philly_crankster_CJ 
    November 2015
    Wow! Fellow PA organizers, I have to admit I am impressed. Even in Philly we didn't break 100 riders until our 4th year. And our donation totals pale in comparison. What's your secret??

Intercourse, I am extremely interested to hear your ride format. From what I remember about riding on 340 to/from Lancaster, there doesn't seem to be much out that way in terms of grocery stores. Did every rider have to completely clear out the closest 5 Amish stands for 100+ lbs of whoopie pies each?

•  
    biketechcf 
    November 2015
    Cedar Falls, IA did 1,190 pounds + $245 in 2-1/2 hours.

Point of clarification - how did 100 riders gather 6.25 tons of goods. That's 125 pounds per rider. Awesome result. How are you doing your ride different?

•  
    blanebtiblanebti 
    November 2015
    Santa Fe, NM numbers for the past 3 years:

2013: 20 riders, 577lbs (422lbs + 155lbs from bike shops)
    2014: 44 riders, 1,129lbs (909lbs + 220lbs from bike shops)
    2015: 41 riders, 1,597lbs (1,182lbs + 415lbs from bike shops)

•  
    IntercourseBikeWorks 
    November 2015
    Philly_Crankster_CJ - I'm not sure that we had a single whoopie pie donated, although after the ride I could have eaten a dozen! As far as our secret, I think it's really spelling out our charity. This is only our second year, and we've only been a bike shop for a year and a half. 

What works in our favor is that we've chosen a local charity that means a lot to local riders (our small school district has a BIG poverty problem and locals want to help. Rather than just hand out food, the food bank we work with (The Factory) asks folks to earn "factory bucks" to "purchase" food from the bank. They earn these "bucks" by attending workshops, taking advantage of free financial counseling, and showing that they're working hard to move their families out of poverty. The result? Lives are changed and each year our poverty problem improves. It also helps that the directors of this food bank are avid cyclists and even rode their bikes from Intercourse to Nashville, TN for a summit on addressing poverty.

Another HUGE help? We can market our ride to out of town folks because it's so incredibly scenic (rolling Amish farmland galore). We put together a 30-mile route, and, you're right, we don't have many grocery stores nearby...but we have two larger stores and one Amish-owned store that are easily accessible on very low traveled roads (we cross 340, but never ride on it for more than a few hundred yards). We've even worked a covered bridge into the route. Everyone loves that the second store is Amish-owned. Even us locals don't find ourselves in stores like these very often, so it's a new experience and Eli, the owner, loves the added excitement!

We also give a prize for the most food donated. This year we gave away Tifosi sunglasses. Not a huge prize, but the spirit of competition works in our favor. Our winner purchased $675 worth of food! 2nd place was nearly $400! What these folks do is gather financial donations from family and coworkers ahead of the event.

Also important to note, we don't ask people to carry their food (obviously that wouldn't work with these numbers!). We simply ask each grocery store to provide a special location for riders to drop their food after they purchase it. Our truck and trailer then comes and grabs the donated food.

One last thing we've done is have a local restaurant donate soup to our riders. When they return to our shop a hot meal awaits them. This year, we arranged for New Belgium Brewing to give away free samples of their beer. An awesome food truck, Baron Von Schwein, was on hand for folks to purchase a more hearty meal.

That's our event in a nutshell!

•  
    TrevorM 
    November 2015
    In the inaugural Fargo Cranksgiving, we had 6 participants spending $15 each. We focused on shopping at the local independent grocers, so our money didn't go terribly far, but we managed to collect 45 pounds of food. We also had a $25 cash donation to the cause.

Our format was typically midwestern in nature: we all rode together to each store at a leisurely pace. At each store, one or two people would go in and make their purchases, and then we moved on to the next store.

It was around 20 degrees during our ride, and the local university had some big football game going on, so those two things together probably kept some other folks from coming out to ride. 

We also had a little media coverage.

•  
    tparris 
    November 2015
    Pocatello Idaho we have a different twist to the Cranksgiving at the local bike shop we setup a freezer and start 3 weeks out asking for turkeys that go to the local Idaho Food Bank. We get lots of support from local television, radio and newspaper so for 3 weeks we promote the turkey drive. People can drop off a turkey or make a donation at the bike shop then the day of the ride which was this Saturday local bikers come to the shop and bike the turkeys to the Idaho Food Bank in Pocatello. The results for 2015 2nd annual Crankgiving was 80 bike riders with 1245 turkeys 45 hams. I still continue to get notified from people that still have turkeys advising them to take to the Idaho Food Bank in Pocatello. Note the local news came to the bike ride and supported the cause.

•  
    tparris 
    November 2015
  •  
    Sequim 
    November 2015
    Here are the results for Sequim WA (population 6527)

32 riders gathered 612lbs of food (fewer riders so less food than last year) 
    We collected cash donations of $900.01 (way more than last year)

PRIZES:
    New: Family Catagory
    Zoom – first family back: Dick & Heidi Pattee: 72 lbs
    Gigantosaurus – most aggregate food for a family: Miller / Lowe Family: 49 lbs

Individual Awards:
    Big Kahuna: most food by an individual: Ken Stringer 106 lbs!!!!!!
    Fastest Finisher: Randy Barber in 35 minutes
    Youngest Rider: Theodore Miller age 2
    Oldest Rider: Name withheld upon request but older than Henry (78) last years winner!
    Cheap Charlie: Henry Lingen, spent $10.53
    Little Kahuna: lightest load: a tie: Nancy Dolansky and Gail Selby at 6 lbs

Notable accomplishments: 
    Individual poundage: Reid Fincrock - 75lbs

THANKS to our team, our community and the riders who made this happen!

•  
    LisaZee 
    November 2015
    Prescott, Arizona: 617 lbs with ~40 riders. This is our 4th year of rolling out Cranksgiving. This year our host, Soul Ride, even threw in a keg. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1674418019438590/permalink/1680818728798519/

•  
    Ken 
    November 2015
    17th annual NYC: 315 riders & 2,440 lbs. 

I keep the race spirit pretty close to the core of this, so people tend to pick up only 5 small items - next year, I've got to figure out a way to top out this list of heaviest loads.

Our "Most Generous" rider rolled in with 6 milk crates full of 13 turkeys in addition to the stuff he & his team of 3 were required to get.

•  
    philly_crankster_CJ 
    November 2015
    Philly 2015 - 145 riders, 5,100+lbs.

We changed the format from a race to more of a scavenger hunt/points-based system, and saw a HUGE increase in food totals this year. We got a ton of positive feedback for the change, too. (Part of my wrap-up for this year is to start a new thread that includes our manifest/scoring system.) I'd love to have a historical record of our manifests and other print material a la the www.cranksgiving.net site.

Our Most Generous rider hauled in 135 lbs on a cargo bike, but we had at least 3-4 cargos battling it out (and all of them pulling in ~100 lbs each). On top of that, we had a few other individuals getting 80-90 lbs just in messenger bags, racks, panniers, milk crates, etc.

•  
    tom_mctighe 
    November 2015
    You all are my heroes - this year in Portland we got 88 people out, and donated a total of $1,053 in food and supplies to homeless folks. Will be scheming hard to do a little better each year.

•  
    BikeThatAZUp 
    First year for Tempe, AZ. 33 riders: 2276 Lbs! Feeding 1900 people in the Valley!

•  
    localhub 
    Dallas had their first ever Cranksgiving on November 21st. We had 63 riders and collected over 500 food items scavenger hunt style donated to the StewPot. Our sponsors, Shimano, Pearl Izumi, and Ellum Bag Works donated prizes, and Community Beer Company donated a few kegs. Cranksgiving was super successful and everyone can't wait until next year! The event was covered by the Dallas Morning News and they published this photo today. 

?oh=c04f96ee788c76e107123627a01ac84e&oe=56AC4714

More media coverage here:  http://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2015/11/bike-race-feeds-the-stewpot-for-thanksgiving/

https://www.facebook.com/events/1606270739634808/

•  
    raqu3l 
    November 2015
    Austin’s first Cranksgiving was 11/23/14 ( https://www.facebook.com/events/1535706666677834 )
    18 Participants turned in completed manifests donating approximately 300 pounds of food or 250 meals

CranksgivingATX 2015 was 11/21/15 ( https://www.facebook.com/events/1501600736823729/ )
    10 Participants turned in completed manifests donating 150 pounds of food
    We also collected cash donations equaling 633.6 pounds of food at our after party 
    Combined that is 783.6 pounds of food or 653 meals

•  
    spokensport 
    Sioux Falls, SD - We didn't get a chance to weigh the food donated. This was our second year. We were graced with 10" of snow the day before so our numbers were really low. Only 15 riders. Lots of excitement around the event though. We were on two tv stations the day of and one station did a live broadcast the week before for their morning show. We had a little over 50 registered before hand and were expecting about 90. Next year we will move it back a week in hopes of getting some college students. Estimate on food weight would be 200 lbs.

•  
    CranksgivingKC 
    November 2015
    Here’s what we do in Kansas City; We have two plaques “the Bent Chain Ring” that are on display year around at a very popular bike shop –Family Bikes. One is for Single Rider Heaviest Load that lists the rider name and amount, and one is for Team of 8 Heaviest Load that list the team name and amount. Prizes are also given and we make or acquire medals that are awarded. The top Heaviest teams and riders pull trailers, some are homemade or modified kid trailers. We have a commercial scale with a big display that gives the riders a lot of immediate satisfaction to see their accomplishment. 

We have chili and beer and live music when the riders return. We have other categories too like the Fastest, and the Best Dressed, -but the Heaviest Categories are the most honored and celebrated. 

As far as total riders, we never really know, but 117 registered this year. I’d guess we normally get around 150.

2015 Results
    Total Weight -6,092 lbs. and $1703.74 Total cash donations.
    Heaviest Load Team
    TEAM WEIGHT lbs
    1. Big Grin 1468.5 lbs
    2. Cobra Kai 949.5 lbs
    3. Team Hydra 499 lbs
    4. Revolve 300.5 lbs
    5. Joel's Dykes 245 lbs
    6. Turtles 233.5 lbs
    7. Riff Raff 215.5 lbs
    8. Clocktower 168 lbs
    9. Harry and Loydd 118.5 lbs
    10. Liquor Train 71.5 lbs
    11. Joenel 62.5 lbs
    12. MDMW 38.5 lbs
    Heaviest Single Rider Woman 
    Karolina Rooney 88lbs
    Heaviest Single Rider Man
    John Townsend 38 lbs
    Fastest Woman – DNF 
    Fastest Man – Thomas Jones

Heaviest Kidz Team (different rules) –They basically walked and rode bikes through the neighborhood and collected door to door. Teams were -8 kids max and 2 adults.
    1.Cupcake GSA 3032 113lbs
    2. Team 3 of 4 101lbs
    3. BSA Troop 118 87lbs
    4. Team Gajewski 75lbs
    5. Little Riff Raffs 51.5lbs
    6. Lewellen-Grant 38.5lbs

Here is our Rules…

HEAVIEST LOAD 10 Commandments 
    1. Sam Swearngin is Chief Judge and is all powerful. (at least until I get home) 
    2. Have fun, but be safe. Look mom, “NO BRAKES!”
    3. Only items listed on the manifest will be scaled. Hint -We are feeding the hungry, not the thirsty.
    4. Items must be transported from a grocery store to St. Peter’s McKay solely by human bicycle power. 
    6. All items must be transported in one trip. We would love if you made multiple really heavily loaded trips, but we are going to only going count the first trip towards this competition. 
    7. Beer drinking is prohibited. Ha ha, just kidding, and making sure you are still with me cause #8 is important. 
    8. Teams are limited to eight riders maximum. Why 8? Because it rimes with GREAT which is what you are for participating in CRANKSGIVING!
    9. If you are on a TEAM you are not a SINGLE shopper. There is no T, E, A, or M in I. You can’t be both. 
    SINGLE SHOPPER HEAVIEST LOAD means –You like pulling the load by yourself, lone wolf, uno, one getting it ALL done, all the glory. You want YOUR name on the plaque. Competitors taunt you, but at a distance.
    TEAM OF 8 HEAVIEST LOAD means -You feel a wonderful power in teamwork. You like to talk and share stories with your fellow team members to keep your mind off of you numb fingers and burning quads. You enjoy making up fun team names to go on the plaque. You like to taunt other teams so no one individual gets their feelings hurt.
    Both are pedal push'n bad asses, but either you are competing on a team or you are competing for yourself because our volunteers can’t do complicated addition ..even with a computer. 
    Make up your mind, time is running out. 
    10. I was going say something snarky here like –Any questions, -see Commandment #1. But, that goes without saying. No, I think #2 is more important. Go back and read #2 again.

•  
    philly_crankster_CJ 
    November 2015
    KC - that all sounds awesome. I think pushing the team competition is a great way to boost donation totals. And the publicly-displayed engraved trophies... legit.

•  
    OhRaleigh 
    November 2015
    Raleigh NC had it's biggest turn out in its sophomore year of Cranksgiving.

2014 (First Year)
    Riders: 37
    Food: 627 pounds
    of that turkeys/hams:13

Riders: 107
    Food: 1,475 Pounds
    Of that turkeys/hams:38

We used a Scavenger hunt point system, riders were not rewarded for being the first person back or necessary the heaviest load. 

We also used hanging scales attached to bike stands to weigh the Donations.

Top Female Individual with most Points
    Amy Easter

Top Male Individual with most Points
    Domino Iceland

Top Team Finisher with most Points
    Team Shuffle Truffle

Top Team Finish with most Points and Turkeys(5)
    Team Cycling for Health

These winners receive an event poster and a handshake, and the warm fuzzes of giving back to the community. There is also a Door prize raffle for participants with donations from local stores. We start and end our ride at Crank Arm Brewery which is a great location for cyclists to gather pre and post event.

For next year: look in to getting matching donations from grocery stores, pre-ride donation drive, improving weighing system, look into a Cranksgiving cup permanent trophy to display at Crank Arm. 

Thanks for the great ideas Y'all, and Crank on!

•  
    littletinyfish 
    November 2015
    The Milwaukee results are posted here:  http://bikecollective.bike/2015/11/26/cranksgiving-milwaukee-2015-results/

The basic stats:
    Weather: 55°F and sunny

Total weight: 477.63lbs

Money spent: Over $1,000 (estimated).
    We forgot to tell riders to keep their receipts, and while most did, we did not count it against the riders if they didn’t bring them in.

Distance:
    Route A: 6 stores + bonus stop over 22 miles
    Route B: 6 stops + bonus stop over 14 miles
    Route C: 4 stops over 5 miles. Nobody raced this route, but we still think it’s important to include this route in future races to encourage more families to participate.

Start time: 12:10PM

Rider count:
    Male: 21
    Female: 20
    A 50/50 split!

Pregnant riders: 1

Youth: 2

Share: